Letter: Ellie Lockwood, Ashburn

Editor: In a recent public forum with challenger Hung Cao, Rep. Jennifer Wexton said, “The biggest thing we can do is pay someone a living wage.” She also said Democrats have made higher wages a priority. 

U.S. workers got higher wages, all right. But the Democrats had nothing to do with it. Those wage hikes were market-driven. Employers raised pay to attract employees during a labor shortage—a shortage linked to federal stimulus funds that enabled workers to sit home. 

The Democrats, with their reckless spending, gave Americans lower real wages. Inflation is outpacing most pay raises. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported in August that real average hourly earnings decreased 3% from July 2021 to July 2022. The change in real average hourly earnings combined with a decrease of 0.6% in the average workweek resulted in a 3.6% decline in real average weekly earnings over the period. 

Wage increases are meaningless as inflation skyrockets. If higher wages are their priority, then Wexton and her Democratic colleagues have failed miserably. 

The economy flourished under Donald Trump, and it can thrive again if we elect Republicans like Hung Cao. 

Ellie Lockwood, Ashburn

4 thoughts on “Letter: Ellie Lockwood, Ashburn

  • 2022-09-06 at 6:33 pm
    Permalink

    I don’t think Ellie Lockwood does Hung Cao any favors by praising Donald Trump. The former president had a distastrous effect on America. He encouraged sedition & insurrection. How anyone could admire him is beyond me. No thank you. I’m for Jennifer Wexton. Please Vote Loudoun!

    • 2022-09-07 at 5:24 pm
      Permalink

      The former president was right far more than he was wrong and the Biden economy is proof positive. In the past 18 months over 2,000,000 unvetted and unvaccinated migrants from all over the world crossed the wide open southern border are are now wandering, unchecked, all over the USA. These people will need to be fed, housed and educated at the same time a rising crime rate will challenge security. Hung Cao is the personification of the American Dream and is ready to actually provide leadership rather than vote the Pelosi line 100%. He is #CaoTheWEXTerminator!

  • 2022-09-06 at 6:42 pm
    Permalink

    Well said Ellie.
    Real wages rose in Trump’s economy.
    New small businesses flourished especially in minority communities.
    The Dems seem to believe the best recipe for the economy includes handouts that discourage work, open borders that flood the county with unskilled workers , raising energy costs , strangling regulation and higher taxes for all.

  • 2022-09-12 at 4:40 pm
    Permalink

    Can’t even bother to change the wording from the boilerplate template shared by Hung Cao’s campaign?

    Pretty weak when Cao’s biggest boosters can’t even bother to write their own letters.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: