Marshall Withdraws from School Board Race

Tom Marshall on Monday officially withdrew from the Loudoun County School Board race for the Leesburg District.

Marshall, a Democrat, said he withdrew for a number of reasons, including the fact that he didn’t get either of the endorsements he had previously received.

“The Loudoun County Democratic Committee treated me poorly by picking a candidate behind my back without me knowing anything about it,” he said.

He said he was surprised at not getting the endorsement because the LCDC never told him they had any problems with him.

“You’d think that since I have been a loyal Democrat, my home has been used as stations for elections, I contribute to Democratic candidates, they would show me a little more courtesy than they showed me,” Marshall said.

Marshall said he thinks he is more moderate than the current LCDC leadership.

According to the Loudoun County Democratic Committee website, it has endorsed Erika Ogedegbe. The committee did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.

He also said, being a former educator, he was upset he didn’t get the endorsement from the Loudoun Education Association, which also endorsed Ogedegbe. He said he thinks he lost the LEA’s endorsement because he didn’t support collective bargaining for teachers.

“I just don’t know enough about it [collective bargaining]. I didn’t rule it out completely. But in an area like Loudoun County, it’s very completive and salaries aren’t a big issue. I just don’t think collective bargaining is needed to have a good school system,” Marshall said.

“Under no circumstances do I want students held hostage from binding arbitration and LEA couldn’t give me an answer if that would or would not happen,” he added.

“Erika shares our vision, and we look forward to partnering with her as we work to achieve our goals,” wrote the Loudoun Education Association in a prepared statement. “We believe the single most important thing that we as educators can do for education is to fight with an equal voice for policy reform and work conditions. With Erika’s strong stance in support of collective bargaining, we believe that will help us achieve that goal.”

He also cited his age as a reason for withdrawing. Marshall turns 82 in October.

“I’m just not as young as I used to be,” he said.

Marshall also said he was frustrated about the International Baccalaureate school selection. Marshall’s attempt to move to program from Heritage High School to Tuscarora High School was voted down 5-4 at the Aug. 9 School Board.

“I was very disappointed I didn’t get that through. But I am striving to make sure my area is equitably treated,” Marshall said.

He will serve out his term on the board, which lasts until Dec. 31, and in that time said he plans to try to relieve Loudoun County High School with the upcoming boundary changes and work hard to balance the demographics of Loudoun County and Tuscarora high schools.

“I work for my town. I love Leesburg,” he said.

Marshall is wrapping up his ninth year as a member of the School Board. He was first elected in 2007 and then again in 2015. Marshall has devoted most of his life to public education, including 30 years with Fairfax County Public Schools as a teacher, counselor and Director of Student Services.

There are now three candidates for the Leesburg District seat: Michael A. Rivera, Lauren E. Shernoff and Erika R. Ogedegbe.

This article was updated August 16 at 5:05 p.m. to correct the year Marshall was first elected to the School Board.

16 thoughts on “Marshall Withdraws from School Board Race

• 2022-08-15 at 3:29 pm

Hey Tom – do something positive before you leave. Put in a motion to allow the poorest and most diverse students in Loudoun to walk to their neighborhood Elementary School (Frederick Douglas). Its’ one thing to “say” you are a loyal democrat but its’ another to not follow the code of taking care of the least able among us to do it themselves. WHY SHOULD LEESBURG (OF ALL PLACES) CONTINUE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST DIVERSE STUDENTS and low economic families? BE DEMOCRATIC! 🙂

• 2022-08-15 at 4:21 pm

So we are left with a radical, anti-data woke Democrat (Ogedegbe), a teacher who believes we should drop all accountability tests and dumb down the curriculum so even all Title 1 students can get As (Shernoff), and a conservative who wants to end woke politics in school and focus on rigorous core classes (Rivera)

This should be an easy choice.

• 2022-08-15 at 4:55 pm

Stabbing Mr. Marshal in the back is just the latest indication of how nutty the Democratic Party has become. It also demonstrates the the local Democrats have learned absolutely nothing over the past couple of years. Democrats intend to be even more extremist than the already are. That is saying something (and it isn’t something good). Come November, we need to vote out the Democrat Party in every position they run for. They are a danger to Loudoun County and society at large.

• 2022-08-15 at 5:37 pm

I’m sorry to see him go. I like Tom Marshall. But I can understand why LCPS staffers aren’t chomping at the bit to meet with him. He’s not exactly known for being tactful. And his sardonic apology to Brenda Sheridan last Tuesday was unfortunate. “Mrs. Sheridan, I’m so sorry if I offended you in any way because I know your friendships with the staff are very important,” he told Brenda. She was a lady & didn’t reply. Good luck Mr. Marshall in your future endeavors!

• 2022-08-16 at 9:08 am

Just eight short months ago. Methinks the only thing of concern to you is holding the party line.

timsmith
      2021-12-14 at 8:05 pm

I think Tom Marshall will do a marvelous job in his new position. He reminds me of Leslee King, with his magnanimous personality & acceptance of everyone, regardless of background or social status. I know I can’t speak for Ms. King. But somehow I feel she’s looking down & smiling. Happy Holidays Loudoun!

• 2022-08-15 at 6:07 pm

Marshall will have a moment of clarity and endorse Mike Rivera.

• 2022-08-15 at 7:29 pm

It looks like the Loudoun County Bolshevik Committee has spoken and there will be no counterrevolutionaries or bourgeois in their party. You must admit they are committed to ideological purity and patently against diversity of thought. This is a strange cross between a Monty Python skit and the Communist Manifesto.

• 2022-08-15 at 7:46 pm

The Minneapolis teacher’s union has negotiated a contract in which the district will fire white teachers first. This is the inevitable endpoint of “equity

• 2022-08-15 at 8:10 pm

It seems to me Mr. Marshall hasn’t figured out his party has left him.

• 2022-08-15 at 8:55 pm

I don’t think a political group should endorse a candidate for a non-partisan position.

• 2022-08-16 at 8:54 am

It’s all we have here now..Politics! There was a quote in the movie “The Shooter”, there are no democrats or republicans, there are just the “haves” and the “have nots”.
      Welcome to Loudoun.

• 2022-08-16 at 10:07 am

After the last several years, I don’t see how anyone can believe that the LCPS Board is “non-partisan.”

• 2022-08-16 at 1:54 pm

The democrats are now controlled by the far left. It’s as simple as that. If he couldn’t figure that out as the only reason why he didn’t get support then he for sure not run. Any candidate that supports unions should not be voted for. Unions only care about one thing, money. And the only way they make money is to have as many members as possible. Hence why they fight so hard to ensure no teachers, no matter how bad they are at their jobs, are protected from being let go. It’s almost impossible for a teacher to be fired under union agreements that these counties agree on. Yet, when teachers ask for unions assistance, they get nothing in return…except that they better keep on paying those union dues!

We need a school board that won’t be held hostage to the teacher union. Who will implement performance standards across all county public school jobs. If performance is not meeting those standards, then bye-bye. At the same time, this would allow for the county to increase salaries to those teachers/employees that go above and beyond their performance standards. Why should all teachers/employees — good or bad — get the same amount of pay raise each year. That doesn’t happen in the real world. If you suck at your job, you’re fired. If you are a rock star, you’re promoted and/or get a nice pay raise. I think that would certainly incentivize people to take these jobs.

• 2022-08-16 at 6:13 pm

Tom Marshall was my closest challenger in 2006 for Town Council. I edged him out for the 3d spot by 38 votes. In 2007, he ran for Leesburg School Board and the Republicans had no challenger. Tom came to the LCRC for our endorsement! We didn’t endorse him; his views on education and other issues were at odds with Republican positions, but I was in the minority on that. I proudly wore a button for him at the polls! We got to know each other over the next few years. I helped defeat him in 2011 with Bill Fox, and then Marshall came back in 2015 to beat Bill. But he was always very cordial to everyone, although he can at times say some weird things. I think it’s atrocious the Loudoun Democrats made this endorsement without him knowing. He shouldn’t get out of the race, but stay in. why help them out? Sorry this happened and please, Leesburg, vote for Mike Rivera for School Board this year.

• 2022-08-16 at 8:33 pm

Poor Mr. Marshall, he thinks the Democratic party is still one with just a few differences from the Republican party, one that uses common sense now and then and is perfectly willing to cross the aisle to do the right thing for Loudoun County, and not the radical leftist loonies the party has become. Old school Democrats like Mr. Marshall are being run over by the radicals that have hijacked his party.

• 2022-08-23 at 8:52 pm

Shocked. Shocked I tell you!
    The radical school board is way left and Tom has been left behind by his party for a real radical that is toeing the party line with respect to bringing in the cancer known as collective bargaining.

Timmy, meanwhile flip flops with the party talking points. Hummmmm.

Fire the entire school board and protect Loudoun youth.