Letter: Susan Platt, Leesburg

Editor: I have been politically active my entire life. I fought hard for issues I thought were right and that I believed in.

The past few years, I have taken a back seat. Maybe because I was getting older, dealing with an ailing spouse or just letting the next generation carry the banners.

Maybe because I was disgusted in the turn our politics has taken. We keep going backwards restricting rights of women and African Americans. It has to stop. We have to ask ourselves if we will let this happen.

The killing of 19 children this week in Uvalde by an 18-year-old with an assault weapon was like a slap across the face. I keep thinking about my 5-year-old granddaughter—and her brother or sister on the way—and the dangers they have to face.

Seeing former congressman and Democratic candidate for governor in Texas, Beto O’Rourke, stand up to the hypocritical politicians on stage yesterday and say enough is enough was the spark I really needed. That was bravery. He was called a “sick son of a bitch” for standing up and challenging the “leaders” on stage beholding to the NRA. They are the feckless ones—they are the sick ones.

It doesn’t have to be this way. We shouldn’t have to fear for our lives every single day. We don’t have to let a small number of politicians impose their distorted view on the rest of us.

We can stand up to these politicians. We need to stand up to these politicians. Last week ,it was 10 African Americans gunned down, this week its 19 children. What will it be next week?

We all need to be like Beto. Be Like Beto.

Susan Platt, Leesburg

7 thoughts on “Letter: Susan Platt, Leesburg

• 2022-05-26 at 1:20 pm

That display was really nothing more than political theater. It’s Beto attempting to remain relevant. #TypicalDemocratHypocrisy

• 2022-05-26 at 2:44 pm

REALLY – Be like Beto! How about school systems consider extending mental health services to students they KNOW ARE IN TROUBLE? How about holding psychologists accountable for the damage their clients do when they don’t share the risk they observe? Was the VT shooter of sound mind? Was the Newtown shooter of sound mind? Do you support expelling students for behavioral problems without giving them mental health support? Doesn’t it sound a bit illogical that a state can arrest a parent for not sending their child to school but the school can expel the student permanently? I don’t have nor support people having assault weapons but that really isn’t Beto’s only desire anyway is it. Who is he to take anything from anybody? 🙂

• 2022-05-26 at 2:49 pm

Robert Francis O’Rourke will say and do anything to feed his narcissism. Never feed attention craving trolls.

• 2022-05-26 at 3:15 pm

Susan Platt’s missive is music to my ears. There’s absolutely no reason why anyone should be purchasing an assault weapon. The idea that we need more guns in circulation is asinine. As Dr. Martin Luther King often said, “Violence begets violence.” Somehow we must get a handle on this crisis before it devours society. May the poor souls of Uvalde, Texas, Rest In Peace.

• 2022-05-27 at 1:39 pm

FYI- the last “assault” weapon available for sale to the public was made in 1986.

• 2022-05-26 at 4:46 pm

Are you fearful of knives and hammers?
    You should be. In Loudoun, you are more likely to be killed or severely wounded by one of those weapons than a firearm.

And for the record, Robert Francis O’Rourke is an opportunistic ghoul.

• 2022-05-28 at 5:51 pm

It is quite delusional to believe O’Rourke can solve anything.
    Just because you are afraid , don’t be a simpleton.