New Virginia Majority Holds Vigil for Affordable Housing

The group New Virginia Majority brought attention to the lack of affordable housing in Loudoun County during a candlelit vigil for International Workers’ Day at the county Government Center in Leesburg on Sunday night.

A group of two dozen listened as community members shared their experiences with the rising cost of living in the county.

“We immigrated because we know this county has a lot of opportunities. But right now, for us,  we don’t have any because we have to kill ourselves working,” said one woman. “Not getting enough money to pay for our house. So, we have to rent, bringing in people, sometimes criminals, we don’t know, because we need to pay our rent.”

Liliana Weinberg of New Virginia Majority said that some of the group’s members report living with six other people in two-bedroom units.

“We have money in the budget for affordable housing. We are asking for that money for our community that is making less than $50,000 a year,” Weinberg said.

She added that with inflation and the increasing demand for housing in the county, the issue is hitting people harder than ever.

“One of our members told us that they have increased her rent by $300. If you make $10, $11 dollars, that’s a lot of money,” she said. “It’s a community where it’s very difficult to understand the situation. That’s why we’re here advocating for families, telling people that we are here and that they’re not invisible anymore.”

The group’s push comes as county supervisors weigh the possibility of expanding requirements for affordable dwelling units. Affordable Dwelling Units are required in most development projects with 24 units or more.

In Fiscal Year 2023, funding equivalent to a half cent of the real estate tax rate will go towards affordable housing, which will yield about $6 million. The county also received $10 million in grants for affordable housing.

Affordable housing units aim to serve families making 30% to 70% of the area’s median income. For a single person, the Area Median income is $90,300, and for a family of four is $129,000.

15 thoughts on “New Virginia Majority Holds Vigil for Affordable Housing

• 2022-05-02 at 12:25 pm

So they came here not knowing the cost of housing and the opportunities? I’m in favor of affordable housing within reason. I wouldn’t go to LA because it’s simply too expensive. But if I did go I would expect tye tax payers to pay my rent.

BTW – 70% of $90,300.00 should not prevent someone from paying their rent.

• 2022-05-02 at 12:43 pm

So let’s get this straight:

1. Illegal immigrants are asserting that they came to the US because of economic opportunities (not persecution) but that they now need to be paid more.

2. Illegal immigrants love the fact that each of their kids receive $20k+ in services from LCPS each year despite never remotely paying a quarter of one child’s costs in taxes.

3. Illegal immigrant children receive MORE in educational benefits from LCPS as FRL students than poor kids whose families were all born in the US

4. The group garnered a tiny group of 24 activists, many of whom are illegal, to demand tax dollars be spent on handouts for them. Where was ICE during this protest btw?

Newsflash: 24 activists composed of illegals, freeloaders, and Marxists is not a “new majority”. Did they not follow the 2021 Virginia elections? Deportation fixes this problem for everyone.

• 2022-05-02 at 12:55 pm

When my grandparents legally immigrated to the United States, they arrived with virtually nothing but a few belongings and a strong work ethic, and you know what they didn’t do… settle in one of the most costly areas in the country. Nor did I hear stories about them attending “vigils” demanding more from others.

They worked hard. They rented an apartment in a tenement house in a lousy neighborhood. Raised a lot of children in that tiny space. I’m certain it wasn’t all sunshine and skittles, but it worked out.

My parents achieved more financial stability than their parents. And I’ve enjoyed that same trajectory.

If you do not have a high-paying job skills, you simply cannot immigrate to a new land and expect immediate success. This is a generational process. But that certainly isn’t what we see here. The rest of us would have to pay for the demands being presented in this story.

There’s an excellent quote from Thomas Sowell that certainly applies here: “What exactly is your fair share of what somebody else has worked for?”

• 2022-05-02 at 1:47 pm

Wait until they find out they’re going pay off the student loans of upper class kids living large in LoCo.

• 2022-05-02 at 3:56 pm

Being able to live in Loudoun County shouldn’t be limited to a privileged few. Everyone should have a fighting chance to live here. It’s a magnificent place to work, play & raise a family. Authorities are taking baby steps to help ensure affordable housing. But so much more needs to be done. Happy Mental Health Awareness Month Loudoun!

• 2022-05-03 at 8:24 am

McLean and Potomac are really nice, too. Will you provide financial support for me to live there?

• 2022-05-06 at 12:04 pm

I used to drive over 80 miles a day round trip to my job because I couldn’t afford to live near the workplace. I knew I couldn’t afford to live near the jobsite but I wasn’t on the street demanding resources from others so I could live close to work. I continued to work harder and harder, and now my situation is better. People who come here legally and need help on a short term basis are one thing. There are churches and charities all over the place willing to help. People who are here illegally are another story. The US is crumbling under the weight of supporting illegals with resources we just cannot sustain. When I lived in Texas, I had four Hispanic Soldiers in my office and I can tell you, they were outraged at the amount of resources given to illegals. Their families were all 3d and 4th generation Americans who came here legally and worked their way up. The Vietnamese boat people who arrived in 1975 worked their rear ends off so their children could have an education and better life. When I was in my 20’s, I couldn’t afford to live in the nice neighborhood that families had worked for 30-40 years to achieve. So, why do the 20-and 30-somethings who come here illegally believe they are entitled to live somewhere when they haven’t “earned their way” so to speak. Growing up, I lived where I could afford to live and not where I wanted to live because of some perceived slight. This “You Owe Me” nonsense has got to stop or we won’t be able to help those who truly need our help.
      As for affordable housing, some of the 2-over-2 multifamily housing in Loudoun County is terribly unattractive and putting it near established subdivisions is going to drive down property values and wreck the economy of Loudoun County. If someone has the data to show me that MF Housing doesn’t hurt the property values of established subdivisions, please send it along. It would make me feel much better. People need to learn they are owed nothing except for the opportunity to work hard and work their way up. When I hear 20-somethings complain they can’t live like their parents who worked for 30-40 years to earn what they have, I just shake my head and wonder.

• 2022-05-02 at 8:17 pm

Begging for others to pay your rent, begging! Paying for beggars rent, thievery!

• 2022-05-03 at 6:49 am

That’s the problem with the idea of immigration today. They, (Immigrants), expect to be taken care of when they come here until they can make it own their own, if that ever happens. How can our country afford to take care of everyone wanting to come here? Of course they have to move where there is work, but that also means everything is generally more expensive. I’m sure this story is not just about low income Immigrants looking for housing, but also low income families altogether. But, there seems to be more emphasis on taking care of Immigrants, legal or illegal, than taking care of low income or homeless Americans these days.

• 2022-05-03 at 6:56 am

Gov’t subsidized housing, free medical and free education all make great sound bites but are not sustainable as economic policies for a sound community. I believe there needs to be a safety net for those who live here to keep them from being hopeless and homeless which is why I spent 10 years of my life on the Good Shepherd Board. Pandering for votes by transferring earned income which is already over taxed is not a long term viable option unless the “SCIENCE” known as economic theory is proven wrong. People migrate to the USA precisely because they know such policies don’t work as visible by foreign governments who try it. How about actually identifying the problems in the county, prioritizing solutions and reporting on progress instead oof pandering for votes to keep in office? Obviously we need an increased supply of high density studio and one bedroom apartments for Loudoun workers without children. Nobody has to own their dwelling if supply and demand for such space is balanced and reasonable. Privacy has a cost government should not subsidize nor should politicians be able to ignore the excessive costs of LCPS as a percentage of property taxes collected! 🙂

• 2022-05-03 at 4:38 pm

There is an answer to this problem and it is for the Democrat-run BoS to end their discriminatory zoning. If Loudoun allowed mobile home parks, we could instantly have affordable housing. But our modern Democrats want a gentrified Loudoun, not a real Loudoun.

• 2022-05-04 at 1:18 pm

Now that makes sense, so it won’t happen. Mobile homes are a win win for landlord and Tennant. They are a profitable investment which offers affordable housing.

• 2022-05-06 at 12:08 pm

Where would you put mobile home parks? Do you think established neighborhoods where people have worked 30-40 years to achieve success are going to want a mobile home park near them? In both Texas and Oklahoma, we had numerous mobile home parks which unfortunately attracted tornadoes like magnets and had large crime rates.
      If we could build mobile home parks with HOA like requirements, then there would be a chance for success.
      Otherwise, after the investors squeeze the last dime out of them, they are going to slowly but continuously decay. I’ve seen it happen multiple times.

• 2022-05-03 at 5:06 pm

The conservatives would be happy to see these people leave instead of caring about affordable housing options, and then complain “no one wants to work anymore.” Guess what, you’re not going to get someone that lives in an overpriced McMansion to work the night shift at McDonalds.

• 2022-05-04 at 1:21 pm

McDonald’s is not a job mea t to pay rent and feed a family of 4. It’s a job to make additional income or take you girlfriend to the movies and get the large popcorn.