Smoke Detector Credited with Limiting Fire Damage to Philomont-area Home

Loudoun County fire authorities said that the alert from a smoke detector helped limit damage last night when a fire started in the basement of a Mountville Road home.

According to the Loudoun County Department of Fire, Rescue and Emergency Service, crews from Philomont, Middleburg, Aldie, Round Hill and Purcellville were dispatched to the fire at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 29. An unoccupied two-story, Cape Cod-style guest house had smoke showing from the basement and first floor. Firefighters entered though a basement door and quickly extinguishing the visible fire. They then discovered the fire had extended into the floor joists and spread across the floors and up the walls, requiring the removal of flooring and drywall to fully extinguish the fire.

The Fire Marshal’s Office concluded the fire was caused by a malfunctioning furnace. Damage was estimated at $50,000.

The department stressed that the presence of functional smoke alarms allowed for early detection of the fire and helped to prevent more severe damage.

Through its “Put A Finger On It,” the department offer free home inspections and free smoke alarms to all county residents. Smoke alarms are recommended on each level of the home and in every bedroom. To schedule an inspection or get more information about the program go to or call Public Education Manager Lisa Braun at 571-258-3222.

Leave a Reply